Thanks for visiting!

Followers

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Revision on past tenses. Check your group to revise -ed pronunciations.The pat perfect.(The woman who had had enough)

GRAMMAR: PAST SIMPLE and PAST CONTINUOUS (was/were+verb+ing). Cuisinaire rods.
+
I/he/she/it was working
You/we/they were working
-
I/he/she/it wasn’t working
You/we/they weren´t working
?
Was she working? Yes, she was. No, she wasn’t.
Were they working? Yes, they were. No, they weren’t.
REMEMBER:
- Use the past continuous to describe an action in progress at a specific moment in the past: At six o’clock last night I was driving home.
- Past simple or past continuous? Use the past simple for a completed action and the past continuous for an action in progress: When they took the photo, they were writing a song.

Put the verbs into the past simple or past continuous:
e.g. She arrived when we were having dinner. (arrive, have)
1. I ............my arm when I ..............football. (break, play)
2. ....................you ................fast when the police ..........you? (drive, stop)
3. It ............... when we ..............the pub (snow, leave).
4. I ....................the match because I ....................... (not see, work)
5. When you .......................me , I .................to my boss. (call, talk)
GRAMMAR: PAST PERFECT
3. Look at these sentences from story 3. Answer the questions:
a. The police stopped the Italian driver.
b. They had seen him using his mobile phone.
1. Which action happened first, a or b?
2. What’s the form of the verb in b?
4. Read the endings of the other 5 stories and underline examples of had+past participle. Did these actions happen before or after the main part of the story?
+ I/you/he/she/it/we/they had/’d seen the film before
- I/you/he/she/it/we/they hadn’t seen the film before
?   Had she seen it before? Yes, she had. No, she hadn’t
REMEMBER:
- Use the past simple when you are talking about the past, and want to talk about an EARLIER action.
- Be careful: I´d can be I had or I would.

5. Complete the sentences. Put the verbs in the past simple or past perfect.
e.g. We didn´t get a table in the restaurant because we hadn’t booked. (not get, not book)
1. I ...............Maria because she ................her hair (not recognise, cut)
2. My friend .............to tell me I ___________my jacket in the car. (phone, leave)
3. When I .....the TV, the match ........ (turn on, finish)
4. She ............the book because she ............it yet. (not lend, finish)
5. He ..............all his exams because he ................at all. (fail, not study)
6. When we ............home we saw that somebody ...........the kitchen window. (get, break)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you think you will keep on using our blog?